So, our plan was pretty much “Run.”
It didn’t start like that, though. Martin went out first, aiming his pistol at
the Smiling Man. It seemed to recognize him, for as soon as he appeared the
Smilers started to glide towards him. Seeing all of them surge forward at once
put my heart in my throat, but I was shocked when neither Martin or Will
reacted. And then I remembered that they couldn’t see those others – they could
only see the original, still standing in the same place.
“Martin, run!” I screamed, pulling
Will towards our car. Martin gave me a look of confusion, but upon seeing the
terror on my face he must have understood something was really wrong. As I was
dragging Will to the car, Martin just made it into the house before the Smilers
got onto the porch.
Will was asking me what was wrong when I pushed him into the car. The Smilers
locked onto us and started to approach. It really reminded me of those stupid
zombie movies that Lois made me watch. I rushed to the other side and opened
the car just as the Smilers reached the car.
“Sarah, what the hell-”
“Shut up!” I shouted at him, locking our doors. Trying not to make eye contact
with the things, I looked down and put the key in the ignition. The radio was
turned up all the way.
We are in your spirit
We’re everywhere you turn
Will turned it down and rubbed his ears. “Okay, now can you explain…” He
trailed off, looking at front of the car.
I had been so shocked at the burst from the radio that I hadn’t seen almost all
of the Smilers disappear – all except one. The one that was standing right in
front of the car, advancing towards us with a bouquet of yellow carnations.
“Please drive,” Will said.
The Smiler’s grin seemed to get wider, if that’s even possible, and started to
walk around to my side.
“Sarah, please drive.”
It started to bend down, almost making eye-contact-
“Sarah!”
Ultimately, it was Will’s frantic attempts to push the pedal that brought
me to my senses. I managed to get us out of there before the thing managed to
get me. I turned to look in the rear view mirror to see if it was still chasing
us, but it just watched us go (on later examination, the mirror had two
blackened spots where I presume the thing’s eyes were). <_>
We sat in stunned silence, neither of us wanting to bring up what just
happened. And then… we both started to laugh. We were both so relieved, that
our lackluster plan had kind of worked. Will even smiled for what seemed the
first time in a long while.
It felt so odd to be back in society. I mean, we live in the suburbs, so we’re
still kind of ‘in’ town, but after this week and a half, it’s felt like we’ve
been cut off. And… it’s just weird. Everyone
is going about their business as normal, unknowing that there’s this creature
in their town that has laid siege to my house. The greeters of some random
non-profit organization are still at the entrances of the store, the people are
still putting up signs for the election, and I can hear families squabbling
with each other while loading the groceries into the back of their vehicles.
“Right, so, where do we begin?” Will asked after I had parked the car.
“Well, I really don’t think we should split up because… you know.” Will nodded
his head in agreement. I took the keys out of the ignition and looked towards
the entrance of the store. “It shouldn’t take us long, but just in case we see
that thing or Vincent, we get out of there. And if we’re split apart, we meet
back here.” Will nodded again and took a deep breath. I placed a hand on his
and smiled at him for reassurance. “Hey, we’re going to be okay. I have a good
feeling about this.”
… ._.
No comments:
Post a Comment