Oct 23, 2012

Martin and Arthur

We have been taking shifts every few hours to make sure that thing stays where it is at. So far, it hasn’t moved an inch (none of them have), but we’re not taking chances. Before they showed up, Martin and Arthur managed to bring in some of the weapons that they had in Martin’s car. Luckily for us, Martin was a hunter before he got involved with all this – though it doesn’t come as much of a surprise, seeing as how I know quite a few people in this area that hunt. In fact, I think Vincent’s dad was a hunter, too..

Except Martin hunts using a bow, so we don’t have any rifles, which is something I’d rather have than a bow that takes a lot more time to use than simply pulling a trigger. We also have Martin’s pistol, the one that took out the Smiler the last time it showed up in my house. And there are plenty of knives – so many, in fact, that almost everyone except Drew, Jane, and Lois have one. It helps me a little knowing that I have something to defend myself with, but I don’t think a knife is going to cut it when some demon is trying to kill you. I’d… I’d rather have a rifle.

And you know, Martin and Arthur have changed a lot in the past few days. They’ve managed to clean themselves up, looking like they’re not homeless anymore… and it’s kind of strange, because before, I didn’t recognize Arthur, but now there’s this faint trace in my head. I know him, but I just can’t think of any specific memory. I’ve tried talking to him about us, but he’s not said a lot. I don’t know what’s his problem lately… He seems focused on talking to either my mom or Drew, and he’s been reading this journal for hours on end. I’ve asked Martin about it, and even he doesn’t know what’s in it.

Martin, on the other hand, is the polar opposite. At first, I thought he was only talking to Arthur and Drew, but I wasn’t really paying attention... I was just too much of an idiot to realize that he’s the person keeping everyone from bursting into hysterics. He has this way of lightening the mood, always finding some joke or story about his past that puts us in a good mood. I sense that he’s just trying to keep our minds off of the thing outside, and he’s… doing a good job, I’ll give him that much. But I can see it in his eyes that even this façade won’t last long.

Drew and Jane have certainly taking a liking to him, too, and it’s hard to see why not. I think, in some ways, they see him like a father figure… the first one they’ve had in a long time. Drew moreso than Jane, too; he’s talked to Martin about hunting things and the like… Dad promised Drew to take him when he got a little older..

Lois and Will… I really need to talk to them again. I tried once, but Lois… This whole situation has torn her apart. She wants to get out of here, but she doesn’t know the danger we’re in. I feel for her, and I desperately want to find out where her daughter went, too.

Maybe I’ll talk to Will. He’ll be easier to talk to than her, I think…

No comments:

Post a Comment