At
my church, there’s an area with picnic benches set out. It’s meant as a sort of
peaceful place, almost like a mini park. That’s where I headed this afternoon
when I went to meet Arthur and his friend… and sure enough, they were sitting
at one of the tables when I arrived.
Now that I wasn’t in danger of being killed right then and there, I was able to
get a better look at them. It was… well… pitiful. Though they had changed into
some new clothes from the last time I had seen them, they were still filthy and
fraying around the ends. Both were unshaven, and Arthur looked like he was in
constant pain (which isn’t surprising, considering he has a wound on his arm
and on his chest). Both had hiking backpacks placed next to them, ready to go
on a moment’s notice.
Just seeing them like that reaffirmed my fears in running. I’ve had people
telling me in the comments that I need to start running, but… I don’t want to
end up in Arthur’s position. He not only has these… these things after him, but
he constantly has to survive the elements when on the run. And if my meeting
with him was any indication, it’s a losing battle.
They saw me approaching and Arthur came up to greet me, a tired smile on his
face. His friend was keeping watch, and I’m almost certain he had his revolver
hidden in his jacket pocket.
“Glad you could make it.”
“You told me you’d explain everything.” (I probably sounded a bit harsher than
I intended in retrospect) “So…”
Arthur motioned for me to have a seat. “Right, of course. I’ll try my best to
explain.”
We talked for about two hours. I don’t remember all of the conversation, but I’ll
do my best to summarize it.
About a year ago, the things happening to me right now were occurring to
Arthur. He started seeing another one of these creatures – the Rake, I believe
it’s called? – and it culminated in him running from his home with the creature
on his heels. Though the Rake was dealt with during the summer (Arthur refused
to elaborate on the matter further despite my requests), another being appeared
during the early spring – the Smiler. For some reason that even Arthur can’t
explain, the Smiler started coming after him, leaving a trail of bodies as it
approached his location. Arthur managed to get around it in order to get back
to town, but that didn’t deter it in the slightest. That’s why the murders
began again – or rather, a second spree of murders started up. Arthur says that
Wallace is the first killer, and this Smiler is some sort of… being that entered the world through him,
hence why the Smiler looks so much like Wallace.
“However, the Smiler isn’t omniscient. It didn’t know exactly where I was
hiding, so…”
“So it started killing kids at the high school, knowing you might be friends
with some of them.”
“Yeah…”
“… And you didn’t try to stop it then?”
“We didn’t have --”
“Arthur, why did you help me?”
Arthur looked to his companion and then down at the ground. “You don’t remember
at all, do you?”
The question confused me. “What?”
“The guy in Lois’ diary, Sarah. The one you thought Vincent was lying about.
You said you don’t remember anything about him, but I thought… maybe appearing
in person it would help…”
Everything started to fit together… Lois’
entries, Vincent’s ‘lie’, Arthur showing up at our youth group out of the blue…
I didn’t remember him. I still don’t, but it makes too much sense that I can’t
ignore it.
Arthur sighed, shifting his gaze away from me. “I’m sorry--”
“It came after me because of you.”
Arthur started shaking his head, but his eyes betrayed him. “I didn’t want to
get you involved at first. I thought you were safe, like my family. It… It was
stupid of me, Sarah--”
I… I got a little angry here, I’ll admit. He continued to try and justify
himself, but… I didn’t want to hear him. Arthur’s the reason why this has
happened to me – maybe even the reason why Vincent has stuff happening to him.
I… I didn’t respond. After a while, Arthur gave up. And then, another thought
popped into my mind…
“You used me as bait…?”
His companion spoke for him. “In a manner of speaking. Given the situation, you’d
have done the same thing in order to put a stop to it.”
“But it’s not putting a stop to it.
Haven’t you all read the other blogs…?”
At this point, they seemed confused. Arthur, at least, seemed to know a little
about what I was mentioning. “We didn’t get the same kind of help you did,
Sarah. Martin here didn’t even know what these things were until the Smiler…”
Arthur trailed off, looking at his friend. There seemed to be something
understood between the two of them, but… I couldn’t tell what it was. Arthur
looked back at me, his shoulders sagging. “He… lost someone close to him.”
I turned to look at Arthur’s companion, Martin; a dark look had passed across
his face. I couldn’t tell if it was sadness or anger… it might have even been a
mixture of the two. I decided not to press the issue further and turned back to
Arthur. “So… You were using me to try to stop it.”
Arthur nodded. “I didn’t want to get you involved, but after stuff started to
happen to you… Well, there was little to no choice. I’m… sorry.” His voice
broke at the last line and that’s when I knew he really meant it. I let go of
my anger right there and nodded in understanding.
“I… thank you both. For saving me.”
Martin barked a laugh. “Yeah, right. There’s still a lot we need to take care
of, first and foremost being this Karrel guy.”
The remark took me off guard. I knew that they had knowledge of Vincent (that’s
how Arthur found my own blog, I believe), but I didn’t know they knew the
extent of Vincent’s recent… experiences. “What do you mean?”
“I think you know full well what we mean, Sarah,” Arthur murmured, looking down
at his hands.
I looked between the two of them for an answer, and after a few moments I got
one.
“Vincent Karrel needs to die.”
I sat there for a few moments in stunned silence. I didn’t like Vincent because
of what he’d done to Lois, but… It’s not like I wanted to murder him. I shook my head. “No way. I’m not doing it.”
“That thing is inside of him, and it is growing stronger every day,” Martin
started to say, but I interrupted him.
“How do you know that? Arthur said you didn’t even know about these things!”
Martin laughed, his arm making a broad, sweeping gesture. “Have you not seen this town? Every day, things are
getting worse and worse! I may not know about these creatures, but I sure as Hell know what they can do. And that
Smiling Man? It’s not the reason why everyone’s been so uptight and hostile
lately.”
And… he has a point, I must admit. The anger towards Lois, Vincent getting
assaulted after school… Even other things that I haven’t mentioned, like raised
voices between the employees of a fast food joint and their customers, or a
drunk being faced with assault charges because he had broken an officer’s arm. And whatever is within Vincent, it
seems to have some sort of role in this.
But… I am not an advocate of murder,
no matter the circumstances.
“Then what are you going to do? Wait until Vincent actually gets around to
killing someone?” Martin asked, his head tilted as if questioning me. I shook
my head.
“No, I’m going to talk to him. He needs someone to talk to, and…”
Arthur finished my statement for me. “And you think this Vivian girl and her
gang aren’t the best influence.”
I nodded. “I don’t know them personally, but Lois has told me about them
before. They’re the kind of person to push Vincent in the other direction.”
“Right.”
So… yeah. We started forming a plan on what we were going to do. Arthur and
Martin are going to lay low for a little while, mentioning something about
keeping an eye on me (though the police have done such a good job at that, so why would I want them replaced?). As
soon as I can, I’m going to try and talk to Vincent about what’s going on. He
needs to know what’s happening before… before things go from bad to worse.
The rest of the time was spent talking about some of the other Fears and what
we should watch out for, should more of them begin to appear in town. As soon
as we approached the subject of the Archangel, things got a little quiet.
“So…” Arthur began.
“I think what Art’s trying to say is… what are we going to do about this other
thing? We can’t exactly shoot it, what with it appearing as dead people and all…”
Martin and Arthur’s gaze were on me, and I could tell they didn’t have a plan.
I mean… I don’t know why they were looking to me for the answers. I don’t know how to deal with these beings.
“It… it seems to have taken a passive stance so far. Let’s just pray it stays
that way.”
"And if it doesn't?"
"We'll cross that bridge when we get there."
That seemed to be good enough for the two of them. They started to pack up a
little while after that, replying that if I ever needed them to just leave a
note on the blog.
*Sigh*
Well... Time to get started. Wish me luck.
Naw, such a blossoming friendship!
ReplyDeleteToo bad I doubt it would last a week before the Others decide to remove you from the plot.
~INSANITY
I'm not a fan of murder, either, but there's a difference between that and putting someone out of their misery. Vincent is too far gone; take him out before things go from bad to worse.
ReplyDelete- Knight